Friday, June 30, 2006

It's just politics people!!! (or IS it?)

I'm hooked! And given that my first translation of those I'm hooked by was "Tinku net" it's not surprising. And given the political nature of the organisation I've just commited myself to wholeheartedly volunteering for - Red Tinku (the Tinku Network) - the metaphor is even less surprising. Check them out at http://www.redtinku.com/. I just tried to access it but had to do a search for "red tinku" for the link.

If all goes well I'll be their official photographer for events and actions, their assistant archivist (don't panic! The ACTual archivist is a native Spanish speaker), and if interest is high enough, their English language teacher. This is the sort of English I want to teach, where I'm not struggling to inject political content into the class without scaring people off. These guys want English so they can read the instructions to opening the Floodgates of Anarchy!! (should the instructions be in English of course - we're all screwed if they are in Alemanian...)

Anyhow, I started my job photographing the advertising for a film showing in response to the violence of earlier in the day when political opponents clashed in the city. The silly gits (as far as I've worked out) didn't plan their marches well enough to avoid each others' path... or did they!!? Marches, clashes and much tension, then and continuing, is due to the upcoming elections on Sunday for a new Constitutional Assembly. There's more about this on the Democracy Center website that I've linked here (on the right). What is decided on Sunday will completely change Bolivia one way or the other. Some are scared that if Evo's factions get through then we'll plunge (?) into a Cuban Castro-like State (which IS a worry, but better than a Capitalist State of course), and others are afeared that individual state powers and independence over resources will divide the country and make us ineffective in the fight for global justice and equality... Or maybe I've got it wrong.

Anybody?

No comments: