Sunday, May 07, 2006

Security; what does it mean?

Earlier I mentioned the tall dogboxes that are pitched about the most affluent parts of the city. I don´t know much about the situation as yet, but it stinks to high heaven to me. All I know is that security isn´t like this in Australia, and why? Because we have more real security in that there isn´t as much crime because there´s not as large a gap between rich and poor, and that comes down to eons of much poorer governmental management/dictatorships than Australia´s which is saying something!

I´m not saying that we don´t need a direct response to crime. If I were getting mugged and the security guard on the corner came and stopped my muggers from serious damage, at that moment he/she wouldn´t be part of the system that needs major changes. He/she would be the person that just saved my life. Sometimes I share my nightly desserts on my walk home with the guards (I have to buy a spare pack of chocolate biscuits!) because I assume they´re in a tight spot (literally) and they look lonely and tired and they´re friendly when I pass. And I live in a house that has a really high wall that double locks and all that (and has a security guard at the corner!) so yes, I´m all for protecting my stuff from ladrones (a Spanish word that I know very well from people´s cautions to me). I don´t want to be robbed again, but I´m criticising the situation where only those who can afford it get the security they want, while on a deeper level those with broken glass walls and shotgun wielding security are far less safe in the long run when more than half the population don´t have direct security.

My gripe with the security is that the implementation of what should be the more accountable police force (although police forces in their current incarnation (including Australia´s) aren´t proven to be very accountable) would be a far better option. And in a better society with a totally accountable (even elected!) police force, I would assume the ideals of the day would include more healthy options for the guys who are currently getting paid peanuts to keep wealthier people safe, and for those who make more from being in theiving gangs than in helpful, fulfilling professions.

I know that the government contribute something to the security box idea, but Wakenhut, and SIS and other big old security knobs advertise all over most of the dogboxes I see. I called them dogboxes because they´re such an insulting substitute for what should be a much more redeeming job.

I wish the government would invest in the security of all people´s safety, but I know it´s an enormous job, that I don´t understand yet, and can´t fully by virtue of my gringo-ness, and I´ve been here only a month and I´ll have more of this sorted out soon, hopefully when I make contact with the guys at www.cedib.org/accionandina/. They do some good stuff. More soon.

No comments: