Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Busy as a deadly little abeja!

Well, any fears that I might be contributing to the total destruction of every South American culture by infecting them with the Imperial Language through my English lessons seem to have dissipated... Far out, when it rains... I´ve been rushed by a throng of English classes. This won´t be very good for my Spanish lessons, but at least I´ll learn more about English!!

Schedule:
Monday, Wednesday and Friday 8.30am to 9.30am
Monday, Wednesday and Friday 10am to 12pm
Monday, Wednesday and Friday 4pm to 6pm
Monday through to Friday 7pm to 9pm

That´s 28 hours! More than I´ve worked in years!! Not sure what will become of me. I think I can sneak Spanish in Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays.

I´m off to La Paz on Saturday through to Friday the 26th to meet up with Krista and Sam who arrive there on Sunday. That´s so incredibly exciting. It´ll be so good to see them... very good. I´m excited. But the transport strikes could be a problem. The companies don´t want to pay their taxes, but the government are saying they have to. That´s my rundown at the moment. I´m not sure what the rest of the story is (any enlightenment?), but it´s clear that it might be a tad difficult to get around at the moment so pray to Pachamama that I continue with the good luck I´ve been having lately...

I went to the Oficina de Migration today to extend my visa (and yes, if you´re anal enough to count the days from the receipt of my original 30 day visa you will work out that I´m an overstayer of 3 days... LOCK ME UP IN MARIBYRNONG!!! The whole thing has to do with travel and if you are party to the (chiefly family based)fallacy that me and travel don´t mix, then you´ll not be surprised and even a little dissappointed in me... but it only cost me an extra 30 Bolivianos...30 that I could have used far more efficiently mind, but only 30 nonetheless ($5AU). It´s lucky I WAS late, because while I was literally on my knees (due to my height, not my near desperate Spanglish state) in front of a very quickly talking solo languager, I was assisted by a lovely young Bolivian/Canadian lass who, was incredibly helpful, her mother and brother also going beyond the call of duty. Staying with me for 20 minutes after their own affairs had been settled (for the day) they gave me their phone number, drove me home, and told me to call them for any other help or just to go out and have someone to talk to... Well! They´re leaving back for Canada in two months, after five years here hating the place, the corruption, the lack of opportunity, the non-Canadianess of it all...

Now to get ready for my English classes tomorrow... *shakes his head with the woeful sorrow that can only be put to ease by friends´ emails saying that if it wasn´t me they´d just learn English from someone else anyway...*

Love to you all,

Miguel.

No comments: