Thursday, May 04, 2006

No child in detention, ANYWHERE!

This blog is supposed to be about Bolivia and this entry may look like it´s not. Well it is. The reason I´m over here is not because I want to be separated from Australia for 18 months. Among other things I want to make Australia closer to me than ever, an inseparable connection. One of the ways this will happen will be that people from other countries will be more real to me when I read about them or see them in the media. Another way is that slowly I´m realising the truth in what I´ve had a faith in for a long time. That´s Gaia. When something happens to a child in detention in Australia it happens to me. My empathy comes from an integral, physical connection to that child, the ground she walks on, the person who makes the decision to send that child to a detention centre in the middle of the Pacific Ocean...

This entry is to let people know about (part of) the Australian Government´s oppression, who are acting in cohorts with the governments and multinational industries that support the oppression of people in Bolivia. In FACT the misguided security here in Cochabamba consists in part of tall dog boxes (on the corners of rich resident blocks) housing security guards. At least some of these boxes (and the guards) belong to Wakenhut, the sinister company that not only knocks down schools in the US to build prisons *his eyes roll in pain everytime he thinks of this insane phenomenon* but also own the contracts to lock up asylum seekers purely for profit.

Sign the petition:

http://www.getup.org.au/index.asp

1 comment:

S. Gregory said...

Hello,

I thought you should be blogging your trip. I love your blog. Shane and I have linked you to ours. We haven't read much of it yet though.(said in, like, an American accent:) We will be very soon, like tomorrow, okay? (...after all, aren't you in America? ;-) )

I really like that first photo; I think it should be an ad for Pepsi. You should send it to them.

Kisses - Shantoo.