Wednesday, July 19, 2006

How many Bolivians does it take to steal a mobile phone and a wallet?





300 - one to sneak up and pickpocket the tall gringo, and 299 to spontaneously jostle for the bus back to Cochabamba.

Sunday lunchtime I found the strength in the throes of Sundayitis to hotfoot it out to the long awaited Cliza festival of the Virgen de Carmen (or more commonly known as the festival of colour and short skirts...). Had a great time, but while waiting for the bus got pickpocketed and lost my mobile and my wallet (all those people who told me so, don't say "I told you so" - I had my hands securely in my pockets at the time and as soon as I felt danger I grabbed my backpack to put my pocketed stuff in and zap, or pop, or pow, or something, they were gone. My wallet only had my show-and-tell $AU30, my drivers licence and the coolest pillbox this side of the Andes, but I WANT THEM BACK!! *he yells as if it will help...*

On the other hand, my private English lessons I've been picking up are great: much more money and ... and... yep. Much more money.

Almuerzo beckons, again.

Michael.

p.s. my profound apologies to Todd, and Michele and Janette, who were glorious enough to allow the taking of the phone and their gift of the wallet (respectively) to South Abloodymerica. I'll make up for the losses. At some stage...

p.p.s. These pictures were only second choice of those chosen by National Geographic for their Cliza spread, but I thought they captured a) the spirit of the day, the goblin type creatures a common occurance throughout, and b) the indigenous flag! That's the flag there, with the girl. Great huh! It is very VERY symbolic, as is Australia's, but with a few more colours...

8 comments:

påt®iciå said...

I feel sorry for that :( let me know if u need some help.
Remember we were talking about the gypsies, well now they moved to La Paz, they tried to make "el cuento del tio" with me, but they couldn’t... I didn’t have money, and still I had to run.
Take care Michael,

påt®iciå said...

Me olvide.. llamaste a Fiona?

Janice said...

Hey Dude, sorru to hear that you got pickpocketed again.... Be more careful....yes I know I hear you say. That you Patricia for writing in English....:)

Correspondiente Boliviano said...

"sorru to hear"

"That you Patricia for writing in English....:)"

You on the other hand, Janice, are writing in which language?

Love ya,

Michael.

Anonymous said...

Time to change your attitude Michael, you are bagging Bolivia too much!There are Bolivians who do not steal phones & wallets.It takes a silly Gringo to go hang out at festivals (where thieves work in teams - you know this by now don't you?) and take his phone!As you know, it costs next to nothing to make calls from street stalls. And what's your beef with the indigenous flag? etc etc? Change your energy Michael, and things will change for you. Like Bolivians say, many things don't work in Bolivia but amongst all the bad planes, trains and buses, surely ther will be one of these opperating well enough to take you to the nearest border if the country sucks to that degree! and yeah, consider yourself lucky to be earning money in a country where people who are fortunate enough to have work, earn the same amount they did 50 years ago. Just read these statistics 2 days ago. Claudia.

Anonymous said...

we

Correspondiente Boliviano said...

What beef with the indig. flag? I wasn't being sarcastic. I think it IS great. I need to find out what all the colours signify, like the importance of colour on the Aboriginal flag.

Yep.

Janice said...

You go Mike. Yes I did spell a few words wrong........Sorry and thank but I will tell you the meaning of the aborigine flag and it is.......

On the Aboriginal Flag, the red represents the land,the red ocher of Australia, to which the Aboriginal people have a spiritual bond. Black represents the Aboriginal people,the people of the land,their diverse cultures having a common spiritual link to the land.The yellow sun a common symbol of light and spirit.The giver of life. Harold Thomas, the designer of the Aboriginal flag, wants it to stand alone as an Aboriginal symbol and not be incorporated into any new Australian Flag.Many Aborigines want red,yellow and black to be the Aboriginal colours only.Useing red on the flag to symbolize the land is easily understood by all Australians as the red heart of Australia. Hope that helps you???? Love ya

PS. Get over yourself Claudia