Sunday, July 16, 2006

Curiosity #12

As I gingerly walked past a punchbuggy this morning, all snuggled up in it's purpleness behind the security of it's owner's high fence, I spied through the bars a sticker on it's rear window which read "Baby on board!"

Now, I know what "baby" is in Spanish but the fact that I don't know what "on board" means, brought to my attention that the sticker's warning was in English. Why, when you live in a nation that can barely say hello in English, would you put such an important message on display in that language? Makes me think that the "cool" that comes with whatever she/he was attempting is more important than her/his baby. Or that he/she thinks that only gringos drive like maniacs in Bolivia.

1 comment:

holly said...

Or is it just a fad with no meaning attached? Like the 20 year olds I see here wearing t-shirts with Che's face on them???

Do you think they know who he is because if they did would they wear his face on a t-shirt? I doubt he would support such commercial exploitation.

I vote that 'Baby on Board' tags are cool in Bolivia and have nothing to do with a baby or a... board.