Saturday, December 02, 2006

Goodbye Emily...


Another fleeting moment in my life passes before my eyes in the form of one of those hastily developed but seemingly concrete friendships as a result of international alien solidarity. Our housemate, Emily, is a treasure and I'll miss her as she goes off travelling before being home for xmas... I get so jealous of my fellow visitors being home for xmas.

Anyhow, we had a party last night to purge the house of the pain of her non-presence. And for cultural accordance, we had a toga theme... cos, you know, that's what indigenous people wear around here...


Of course we took the notion seriously and wore nothing underneath our sexy bedsheets... bother - I must get non-seethrough (and rose-less!) bedsheets!


While a downpour of liquid (of an alcoholic kind) was thrashing those inside, out in the street, a downpour was causing havoc of another kind... Some schmuck probably didn't have the chance to make the stupid decision to drive through 6 feet of water, given the speeding and drunken driving that you'll invariably find on Cochabamban roads... You can just make out the car (which was completely submerged before I ran to get my camera) being winched out of one of the underpasses near our house. We thought it was strange that a bit of a storm would keep traffic off the road... The river running right alongside wasn't flooded of course... Not sure what the problem was that caused the deluge (lack of precautionary measures no doubt, again) but it's still being pumped as I speak, 14 hours later. Reminds me of my fears when I passed through the Burnleigh Tunnel in Melbourne...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What the fuck was Silvana doing at your house? Yeah she's a social butterfly but I'm still holding a grudge from late February.

Anyway, I guess I may as well actually read your entry now...

Correspondiente Boliviano said...

Yeah, sorry Marty. I didn't think of you when I posted that photo, but I have thought of you often since Silvana has been more present in my life, via Emily, for they are/were good friends. "Were" because Emily's gone, gone, gone... Very sad.

Either way, more news about all that via the impermanence and less public MSN!

Anonymous said...

That chick just gravitates towards the foreigners, there's nothing else for it! She'll have a field day when Luke brings his buddies over for the wedding.

I don't suppose she ever drunkenly treated Emily like absolute shit and denied HER existence one night after they'd been going out for a little while? But then by the same token I don't suppose Emily actually 'went out' with Silvana in the first place.

The good thing that came out of the Silvana thing was that after her I became CONVINCED of the flawlessness of the 'half plus seven' rule: you can only go out with women who are as young as half your age plus seven years. So my lower limit is 19, yours would be 23.

Just having a bit of fun... (but really, the formula works!)

Janice said...

Fair dinkem Marty so you had a bad experience with Silvana. Get over it. Nah just thought I would say that. I love reading what you and Michael say to each other. Keep it up.
Love ya Mike