Thursday, August 24, 2006

football, festivals and farewells.





Well now, where to start. Just me, me, me isn't it!

Back pedal to the footy game, between Aurora (my local team) and the other local team (can't remember the name but they're very good so it's the popular team - the underdog doesn't usually get a look in here...) in the National comp. The view of the field shows the Cbba mountains in the background, the scoreboard which ended as 1-1, the riot police - a regular feature to ensure the referees get off the field alive, and the players, of course. I was there with the other two Aussies, Luke who I move in with in a few weeks (there's the official broadcast), and Marty, who has flown the coop, leaving me almost karaoke partner-less...

The festive atmosphere you find me in is the Monday of that UrkupiƱa cafuffle that took place last week, where little sleep was had as opposed to much festivities, which is what a festival is all about. Thousands of participants in the parade, while Marty and I traipsed around like idiots through the parade, often being confused as part of the cross-cultural contingent according to the reaction from the gawking crowd. I swear some of the crowds on the bleachers looked just like an Australian Great Southern Stand moment, but smaller.

Don't worry about the girl in the parade with me there. She had nowhere to put anything she might have pickpocketed from me, so I think I was safe, in that regard...

And that's not a beer in my hand, it's a... um... you know, ... a light?

Phew.

2 comments:

Janice said...

Hey Mike,
In the photo, which one is Marty...the never so late person???? :) You do look so happy and Anne said to get rid of the beard....

Janice said...

Hi, it's me again, Have you got new glasses??? They look different. Love ya