Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Feeling the spirit.

I´ve been in Cochabamba for over a week now and feel much more used to the various surprises that keep coming into consciousness. Most of the surprises relate to the poverty that surrounds me, in contrast to the wealth. I´ve studied, and am trained in this sort of stuff but never experienced it in such magnitude first hand. One can see the connection between this immense divide in wealth and the political dramas that have unfolded here in recent years (and still continue). What is amazing to me is this: here are people who have been so oppressed for so many years that when it comes to survivial there´s no choice but to fight, for your family, for yourself, and your country, if not just for what is right. That makes sense, but then at the same time, the length and extent to which the oppression has existed should have snuffed the spirit of the people long ago, and sure many people are only able to live day to day if that. But people rise, and people resist, and stand and insist on justice and a change, a chance. They have pride and power in their struggle. It´s exciting and an honour to be witness to it all. The water wars, which I have been researching, is a situation never before realised as clearly in the struggle against greedy foreign powers and the fight for basic rights, like water. I love the feeling of resistance and passion in the Plaza 14 Septiembre, named after the declaration of independence from Spanish rule that led to the creation of Bolivia (I think I´ve already mentioned it) and think, maybe romantically, that I can feel the energy left from the blockades and shutdowns that forced the local governor´s resignation and the repeal of the water contract from Betchel (boo, hiss).

I meet with a fellow from the Democracy Center tomorrow, who played a big part in making the issue (and others) an international concern. I want to volunteer with them, although they seem pretty popular and booked up volunteer-wise till early 2007! I sold myself well enough for them to meet with me though...

More soon, live without dead time,

Michael.

No comments: