Sunday, June 03, 2007

Weather reflecting my mood so close to Che's demise.

Yeah. So we're freezing our proverbials orf in Vallegrande. Know where that is? It's the main town in the region of Señor Ernesto Che Guevara's last stand. I didn't want to come here initially due to the whole finality of his living years being so starkly commemorated around these parts, and certainly can't see myself going to the school he was shot outside of, the hospital where he was taken after they cut off his hands to avoid identification, or the airstrip under which he was buried but there is a very large (taller than the whole of me!) bust of Che, a monument in the little town where the hospital and school are so I want to see that at least.

We're staying, luckily, at a hotel for 15B each with a big private balcony looking over the pretty pretty plaza. Yay.

As noted, Fiona and I ventured into the Amboro National Park for some wildlife viewing and it was bloody cold there too. Janice and all will be happy to know I'm keeping up the tradition of doing stupid things around water... we had to wade waist deep (just passing the low of my jocks for me) through a river to continue our hike on day two of the three day trek - not a blue spot in the sky to be seen - and I predictably found a spot in the riverbed that sloped down, down, down... and I lost my fodden left sandal. This was one half of a pair I'd bought just days before leaving Cochabamba, a rubber tyre-made pair popular among the poorer Bolivians and specially made for me (size 46). I had to take off the top half of my clothing as well to wade deep, deep, deep in the less than warm (read: c-c-c-cold) waters sifting through the sand to rescue it. I didn't, but I found a complete set of kitchen knifes down there - not really but I couldn't believe I found another thong, a girly right-footed one about half my size that I finished the slippery rockhopping hike with. Bloody. Then on our way back, at the river after the water had settled and we could see the bottom again, did I see my sandal at the bottom? No, I saw the other half of the girly pair. Bugger! So at least I had the left size 6 girly sandal to wear on my left foot. Photos to follow.

It was sunny today but yesterday's weather was shithouse. However the drives to the prettiest towns ever are very pleasant and viewsome and everyone is very friendly around these parts.

After this we might find ourselves on a riverboat tour to Trinidad. Vamos a ver.

Chau, busting to go to the baño!!

Love yas, Michael.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Didn't you read that blurb in the Lonely Planet about the Bolivian girly thong fish? Apparently they create under-water sand sucks to pluck your own thong and then the female fish attaches itself to your foot, the point is that this particular fish thrives off your embarrassment.

Rups
Author of Bolivian River Systems for Dummies

Correspondiente Boliviano said...

HEY Ruperto! Porque has eliminado eso entrada... that is: why did you delete that first entry?

Anonymous said...

M,

It was the same as the second entry but sometimes I post too quickly and then realise I've posted with the R-rated blog linked and not Onlines, so I just changed it.

R.